Feeding pigs is a challenging and troublesome work for pig operations when pig farming. But feeding pigs is essential and can be simplified with the right feedstuff and proper feed combination for pig farmers, especially for those who are keeping pigs for profit.
1. Pig farmers should know what weight of pigs they want to achieve. Because the fat content of the pig is measured when sold, and the pig is priced accordingly. The thickness of fat that covers the meat of the pig is dependent on what is fed to it and in what quantity.
2. To keep the pig big and healthy, the appropriate kind of feedstuffs can be fed with it. The pig farmer who is dependent on feeds, should not feed their pigs leftovers because the leftovers will ruin the appetite of pigs. It is important to seek the advice of an expert when feeding pigs, regarding the amount of feed to be given when raising pigs. Also, take enough time to consider what feeds the pigs are responding best to, which will help make feeding swines easier.
3. There are various kinds of feedstuffs that can be chosen for hogs, so they are not that hard to feed
—It is possible for pigs to get tired of eating the same feed things for a long time. Variations of feed materials must be included for the swine food, depending on the swine’s age. The food that is given to a young pig is different from that of an older pig in so many ways. Usually, a young pig of 8 weeks should be given feed with 17-18% protein; older pigs should get around 15%.
—Bred pigs are also given a special mix of feeds to ensure that they can give birth to many young pigs. Tankage and meat scraps are good sources of protein, and soybean oil meal also is a good choice for pig feed mix for the best result.
—What types of grain to use to feed pigs should be determined, and no matter what types of grains to be used, 50% should be yellow corn. Barley, wheat, and sorghum can also be used, but do not use the bird-proof sorghums, because they have reduced palatability. Also, yellow or white sorghum is better than the red one.
—If the pig feed is self-made by pig farmers, the grain needs to be ground (but not too finely) and mixed with the protein sources for a complete meal. If the feed is bought from stores, buy ground meals for a large number of pigs or feed pellets/cubes for a smaller number of pigs.
4. The leftovers pigs after eating have to be handled to avoid pigs eating dirty food when the leftovers are not cleaned. A good sanitary habit is necessary for pigs to prevent harmful foreign bacteria in their system so that it will not affect the products to be gotten from them.
5. Choose the proper pig feeders, because the right feeder can greatly help pig feeding efficiency. Usually, there are several types of pig feeding equipment automatic cylindric pig feeder mainly used for fattening pigs; dry wet pig feeder suitable for powder and pellet feedstuffs; feed troughs for sows, piglets, and fattening pigs.